Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I am getting a 'wap' wap sound whenever I apply my brakes

I am getting a 'wap'...
I am getting a 'wap' wap sound whenever I apply my brakes just at the end of my stopping cycle and just as the car comes to a stop. I have had new pads put on my 2005 camry and have had the rotors refinished but the problem persists . All the mechanics I have worked with have no answers. I would be grateful to have your thoughts on the reasons causing this. Thanks.
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: The brakes are Toyota brakes and only have ten thousand miles and were recently cleaned by the dealer to remove any dust which we thought was the problem.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Just have had the brakes cleaned professionally and the rotors machined by pros. Just don't know where to turn next , the sound is really bothersome.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No , that's pretty much the story, thanks.
8/17/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the vehicle shake at all with this issue when braking?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No and it stops well.
Not necessary at this time, just would like your best thoughts on what may be causing the problem and any suggestions on how to repair it.

No problem on the call we can continue here.

The only other issues that I know of that will cause this here is a failing brake caliper hanging up or a wheel bearing.These can be common issues to cause this fault and if they had not checked into these this needs done.

Most of the time I would say the brake caliper is the most common with it slightly applying pressure.It can cause slight pressure on the rotor creating this noise.

If there is any play in the wheel bearing though this can also cause this noise.If this was not checked to see if it had any play at all or any roughness to it this needs done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician