Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 LE w/ 4cyl engine. Engine shut off under light…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 LE w/ 4cyl engine. Engine shut off under light acceleration. I used a scanner to detect #4 ignition coil bad. Replaced coil and now runs fine, but a bad coil should not have caused an engine shutdown. Is there another problem lurking? No DTCs on scanner now. I'm fearful of my girlfriend driving the car and having another shutdown.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Check engine light came on after engine shutdown. Engine would restart but ran roughly.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Toyota?

LE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would rather not comm w/ a computer. you are not even reading the posts

8/12/2017
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. A real human here; not a computer. Please allw me to assist you Please advise of the model of your 02 Toyota. Thanks

To answer your question, this would not be uncommon for an engine stall to occur after a coil failure. The issue is this: The coils all share the same ground circuit. Inside of each coil, protecting the power to the ground path, is a very small diode. When the diodes in the coils fail (the most common cause of coil replacement), battery voltage 'leaks' into the ground path. This is how the computer 'knows' that that particular cylinder is misfiring. This sets the code. On extreme cases, the power spike to ground can over-ride the ground and cause the coils to lose their ground. This causes the stall. The rough idle is from the remaining unburnt fuel in the combustion chambers (that was not ignited) to foul the spark plugs. Replacement of the bad coil rectifies the issue, but, a good rule of thumb is this: if one coil is bad (faulty diode), the others are not far behind needing replacement also.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!

Thanks, ***** ***** gives me a lot of peace of mind. I already ordered replacement ignition coils for the remaining cylinders.

You are very welcome.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert