Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Seems to be common problem with few real answers. Brake

Seems to be common...

Seems to be common problem with few real answers. Brake light is on, and light is on and buzzer is on (but does go louder and softer after time) and brakes are "mushy" , but after one pump seem normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Recent new brakes front and rear, car only has 22k miles. The mechanic who did brakes said he bled lines, but I suspect not accurately... All the issues were before new brakes...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2003 Prius

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just got the car last night... depending on how technical will work on myself... oh, it needs new 12v battery in trunk...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so...

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/12/2017
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This really sounds to me like the rear brakes are not adjusted properly, or, the shoes may be on backwards.

Bleeding the system is never needed unless a component was removed (caliper/wheel cylinder, etc). More often than not, the lack of using the park brake allows the rear brakes to never readjust. Replacement of the rear brakes always requires proper adjustment.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have received reply... does rear brake adjustment address abs light, brake light and buzzer also?

If there is excessive travel in the pedal, the sensor will relate this to a faulty master cylinder and cause the light to come on. You really should get a scan and see if there are any ABS codes that may need diagnosed. I would get the rear brakes adjusted though; the action of the rear brakes, thru their operation, causes the main battery to charge. This is called "regenerative braking".

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As in most American cars, can rear brakes be adjust by driving in reverse and applying brake? Does setting and releasing parking brake adjust, or do they physically need to be adjusted?

Toyota cars use the action of the park brake to keep the rear brakes adjusted. Driving is reverse does not work. If the brakes are replaced, the clearance between the shoes and the drums needs to be manually adjusted. Repeated action of the park brake keeps the adjustment. Pulling the park brake on repeatedly to attempt rear brake adjustment will not work. The proper clearance needs to be set before the park brake action will take effect.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
While I have not yet tried the suggestions, they were given in a timely manner and for the most part appear to address my questions. I would give my responder 5/5 stars...

Thank You! Please click on one of the rating icons to ensure my rating is recorded. Thanks again

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ha e tried to find correct battery for my 2003 Prius. When looking @ various site they state no battery available, but for 2004 there are usually two options. What is the 12v battery I should have in mind? I think I prefer Optima yellow top. I

Please see my reply on your other question that you posted.