Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Yesterday when we were getting ready to go someplace I

Customer Question
Yesterday when we were...

Yesterday when we were getting ready to go someplace I opened the passenger side door to get in and I smelled a strong raw gas smell. When we turned the A/C on full blast it seemed to just get worse. Like the gas was blowing right in to cab. We took it for a ride of about 4 miles and decided to come right back because we were afraid it might get on fire. We let it cool down and had things to do so we got back into the truck and went to do what we had to do. The gas smell seemed to go away. We rode with the windows almost wide open. We tried the A/C again when we pulled into the yard. Once again, the smell of strong raw gas. We need to know what to check for without taking it back to a Toyota dealer and be charged such absorbitant prices to repair it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No, there is no change and we have had it for over a year now and love the truck.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cab?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

We want to fix ourselves because we live on a fixed income now and can't really afford Toyota's repair service. My husband who drives it all the time check for leaks and found nothing. There was no evidence of raw gas under the truck. He looked under the hood and didn't find any visible leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is about all I know at this time. My husband got called to work (he works part time occasionally). He planned to ride with the windows down. He will have time this evening to work on the truck.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Toyota
8/7/2017
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 9 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. He will need to check the fuel injectors. they may be leaking from the rail or where they go into the intake. the o rings on the top or bottom are suspect after a few years. I would advise not to drive it again until its fixed.

My husband will do the checks that you suggested when he gets home later this afternoon. So far he was pleased with your reply. Will let you know what we find out. Another diesel mechanic who my husband knows basically suggested the same as you did.

very good. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed. thank you

let me know

hows it going?

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic