Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 1990s toyota camry. When i was driving home the car

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1990s toyota camry. When i was driving home the car just shut down on me. So i pulled over to the side of the rode. I start it up sometimes it worked other times it didn't
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I can check. Cause the car lights and stuff turn on perfectly
JA: What year is your Camry?
Customer: 1990
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well no, this just happened last night on my way home from work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: But what was going with the car since everything is fine but it's turning off on me when i died matched the symptons of a bad starter relay. From what i resd. I'm clearly no expert just wanna know what's wrong with it
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

It's kind of difficult to pinpoint the problem without doing some basic tests like a spark and fuel pressure test to see what the engine has lost to cause it to stop running.

A sudden stalling of the engine on this year and model is most likely a broken or slipped timing belt, especially if the engine tries to start and sputter and sort of backfire. It could also be due to a sudden loss of fuel pressure or ignition so those things should be checked first but from what you have described and going by past experience the timing belt is the most likely cause. Let me know if you have any other questions or need help in checking a couple of these things yourself.