Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

Won't start. When I push engine start button all I hear is

Customer Question

Won't start. When I push engine start button all I hear is an electric ticking sound. 2013 Toyota venza
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Sounds coming from the dash. Just now.
JA: Are you fixing your Venza yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Disconnected the battery to try and restart system.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know anything else.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 2 months ago.

Your vehicle is a complex network of computers. Yes, everyting on this vehicle is computer controlled.
Now, all these computers are highly unforgiving to voltage irregularities.
Today's vehicles, including yours... well... they sound VERY strange and alarming when a battery gets low and/or needs replacement.
When you go to start the engine, the battery voltage instantly drops below an acceptable level. This causes the vehicle computers to shut down and rapidly restart, then shut down and rapidly restart... over and over. This creates all kings of clicking noises. Think power surges in your house. The refrigerator, microwave, stove, tv, boxes... all click. Same with the vehicle computers.
Now... Jumpstarting is not always sufficient to get the vehicle started. Jumpstarting must be done with a portable jumper pack. Additionally, under some circumstances, a good, fully charged battery will be the only way to get the vehicle started.
My suspicion is that your vehicle is suffering from a dead battery. Have the battery replaced and I have full confidence that your problem will be resolved.
I ask that once you have found my answer helpful you rate my service provided.