Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Running poorly, TRAC OFF, VSC TRAC, and CHECK ENGINE light

Customer Question

Running poorly, TRAC OFF, VSC TRAC, and CHECK ENGINE light is on
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Both, blinking then staying on...now only staying on
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2004 Sequoia
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have done nothing and we are 70 miles from the nearest dealership or auto parts store
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the vehicle is running poorly, the most common issue is a secondary air injection pump has failed. An accurate diagnosis with a scan tool would be needed to confirm this. If a scan can be procured at a dealer or auto parts store, and the air pump is the issue, the pump is obtainable at the Toyota dealer only. Parts stores do not sell this item as far as I know and it is rather difficult to replace with no previous knowledge ding this task. You could pull off someplace and let the vehicle cool down; this may relieve the symptoms for a short period of time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a small trailer that I'm pulling as well. Is it going to damage the vehicle if I drive it the 70 miles assuming your diagnosis is accurate?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To get to the nearest dealership.

I do not believe that you will damage anything. Most likely, the vehicle is in what we call "limp" mode. This causes performance to be reduced (to reduce emissions).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks. Is it an expensive repair?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I make it 300 miles to my hometown or do I need to get it repaired immediately?

If it is the air pump, yes, it can be rather expensive. In order to restore your proper performance, it would be prudent to get it diagnosed. Perhaps the air pump is not the cause. However, if you have never had it replaced, it is probably the pump. Question: Is it humid where you are or have you passed thry heavy rain during this leg of your trip?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Heavy rain about 30 mins before it happened

You have probably ingested air into the secondary air pump intake system. This is common. This could clear up over time.