Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The shift stick can't be moved from the park position

Customer Question

The shift stick can't be moved from the park position because the release button can't be depressed.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: It is a Toyota Echo 2005. No leaking.
JA: Are you fixing your Echo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I removed the two stick buttons to check if the release button could be pressed and I did.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does he know any web address with a diagram that show in detail that part of the vehicle?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can we chat online?
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Do you need a break down of the shifter assembly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got this Toyota Echo 2005 that does not let me move the shift stick from the park position even when the power switch is in on position and the security mechanism works everytime that I press the stop pedal. I think that the whole thing is mechanical, but I don't what else to check. I removed the two screws that hold the stick in position, but it didn't came up out. That's what I like to have a diagram so I can a better picture of the mechanism.

ok when you get the console apart you want to make sure the shift lock solenoid is working when you hit the brake

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After a careful and extended check for most of the parts related to the shift lever mechanism, I find out that there was this gap or space for movement that blocked the shift lever button movement. I loosened the screws of the shift lever knob a bit and pull it up to force the shift lever button to move. Once pressed, I tightened the screws back. The car is not like it used to be, but at least, I can move the shift lever from the park position and ride the car. The work does not stop there because now I cannot remove the car key from the ignition switch. I will continue tomorrow.

Let me know when your ready and I can help with that as well