Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The taillights stayed on and drained the battery. No, now it…

Customer Question
The taillights stayed on...

The taillights stayed on and drained the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

No, now it seems completely dead.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2010, standard prius

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet, just got the manual out and decided to try googling for help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Toyota
8/6/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 11 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thaks for posting

It sounds like the 12 volt battery in the trunk is dead, the headlights draw current from this battery, if it's the original battery just get a new one and the problem will be solved. Let me know if you need assistance with that or have any other questions for me.

Thank you.
can I jump start it?

Yes,open the hood open there is an access point in the fuse box near the left headlight, open it and then open the red cover with a plus sign on it, connect the positive cable there.