sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I am stuck on the road just outside HarrySmith. I have got a

Customer Question

Good day I am stuck on the road just outside HarrySmith. I have got a Toyota Hilux 4.0 4x4, As I was driving from Pretoria first the traction light came on and then about 5 min later the engine check light. I stopped and felt that the engine is cool but is too concern to drive on not knowing what the fault could be and possible consequences if I keep driving. Can you maybe please give me your point of view.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The light stays on
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hi it is a Hilux d/c and it was serviced on Thursday and no I do not work on it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is it thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many possible causes for these warning lights. Without knowing exactly what is wrong it's hard to say if there would be any damage or how safe it is to drive, but if it appears to be running normally then it should be ok to drive.

The engine light can come on for literally hundreds of different things including sensors, injectors, wiring, the engine controller itself; literally a failure of any part of the powertrain. The stability control system relies on the ability to request engine torque and if there is an engine performance concern that will prevent that then it will turn the stability control light on.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there base on the findings.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!