Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I'm looking at a 2008 Prius with 217K miles. Runs great-

Customer Question

I'm looking at a 2008 Prius with 217K miles. Runs great- trying to determine if battery is near replacement. gets ave 47 mpg but have noticed near full battery at end of drive time, down to 2 bars next morning. Is this an indicator of battery nearing the end of it's life?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Toyota Prius. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: that's it..
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

It's not unusual for the battery to lose two bars overnight. The batteries don't give much warning when they go out, I'd recommend that before buying it you invest in a bout $100 and have a dealer do a complete "health check" of the engine control and hybrid system which would include a HV battery analysis to detect weak cells and any other areas of concern. HV batteries and major components like ac/dc inverters tend to be a little expensive as are most parts for the Prius. The batteries tend to have problems at this mileage.