Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.
18042535

If i corner hard in my 2008 tundra 4x4 i have a grinding

Customer Question

if i corner hard in my 2008 tundra 4x4 i have a grinding noise and th traction control light comes on. is tis
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: sounds like right rear
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing so far this happened a year ago while towing a boat but has not happened again until just recently i tried to replicate it a week ago but could not get it to do it this week it seems to happen regularly on a winding road someone said that the grinding noise cold be the anti lock brakes i have to take the boat again next week and ame concerned whether this may be a dangerous condition
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ryan-CTech replied 2 months ago.

Hi there :) Please keep in mind I am not in front of your vehicle to properly diagnose it. With that said it sounds like a bad wheel bearing. The grinding sound and ABS /Trac light are related. When cornering hard or when hauling a load it puts extra pressure on the bearings and can cause them to move internally. The ABS relies on a tone ring to messure how fast the wheel is spinning. If the bearing is bad it lets that ring move thus causing the ABS light to come on and a noise to be heard. So thats where i would start :) Please let me know if you have any more questions and I will be happy to answer them :)