Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2012 Tundra SR5 with the spindle hub and bearing

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Tundra SR5 with the spindle hub and bearing hub out off the vehicle my question is how much tonnage does it take to separate the bearing hub from the spindle hub ?
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing truck my self, have new bearing hub assy baught but can't separate the two hubs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just how much tonnage will it take
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

It takes at least a 10 ton hydraulic press to get the bearing out and then press the new one in. You might consider just taking the spindle and bearing to have this done, most tire shops that do suspension work will charge about $50 or so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not trying to press the bearings out of the hub, I have a new hub assy with the bearings already in it, I just need to know how much tonnage to separate the rotor hub from the bearing hub assy

T​he hub can be pushed out of the bearing with a hammer and large drift that fits into the opening, using a press I guess it will take about 1 or 2 tons.

B​y the way, it's customary to always replace the hub when replacing the bearing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The bearing hub assy and the rotor hub are two different things, the rotor hub is pressed into the I.D. of the bearings that are already pressed into the bearing hub, just wanted to know how much tonnage to separate the two ?