Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

91 Corolla wagon overheats. The engine fan and the AC

Customer Question
91 Corolla wagon overheats...

91 Corolla wagon overheats. The engine fan and the AC condenser fan won't turn on. Fans both work solenoids click when temp switch is grounded. No power at 30amp fan fuse or AC fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Lack of power at the fuses is consistent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it my self. I have found that if I remove the 30 amp AC fuse and hot wire the front leg of it the engine fan comes on and responds to the temp switch. If I power the front leg of the fuse the condenser fan works. Fuse installed neither fan works.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
Actually this is the question I sent yesterday. I took the bottom off the power distribution box and did some tests with a test light and a fused jumper wire. I replaced the solenoid labeled "engine main". Now the fans work but the AC button won't respond at the heater controls and the compressor won't turn on. Before I messed with it this stuff worked. What did I do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 6 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please check for power at the solid Yellow wire behind the AC switch. Advise if you have power with the key on. Thanks

Mr. service mechanic: I am sorry I can't get back to you with any more information on this problem till the last week of this month. I work in a remote resort in the Cascade mountains. I won't have access to the car in question until after the 24th of this month. I hope you will be able to help me at that time. Sincerely Yours, Terry

No problem. Let me know when you are ready.

Mr. Toyota mechanic: Thank you. I hope "just answer" does not cancel my inquiry before I get back home at the end of the month and get my hands on this car again. The owner is happy enough that it doesn't overheat and can drive it, so is willing to wait to get the AC working. I'll check that yellow wire as soon as I can, and get back to you. Terry Sanderson

We will not cancel your request. Reply back when you are ready.

Thanks

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician