Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

At speeds around 50mph right front sounds like a shissing…

Customer Question
At speeds around 50mph...

At speeds around 50mph right front sounds like a shissing noise , it does it two or three times and then goes off.it is not consistant. just had a brake line on left side fixed.. still making noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluid? How old are the brakes?

Brakes were checked and I think they must of checked fluid. only 3 years old. they said the break line was corroded and I wonder if there is another break . no light on but did come on before left break went.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2001 Toyota 4 runner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

No on my fixing. trying to figure it out because shop doesn't know what it is

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
8/4/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 6 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Based on experience, the main cause of the noise you are describing is a 'rust ring' building up on the inside of the brake rotor at the hub area. If rust has developed here, this can and will rub the dust shield and cause the audible noise. If this vehicle was in my shop I would be pulling the brake rotor off of the hub and inspecting it for rust and a shiny wear pattern where it might be rubbing the dust shield. Bent dust shields can also cause this problem too.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks! If you wish to have a live phone conversation with me, I can arrange that for you. Thanks again.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician