Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 prius. Turn signal keeps blowing fuse, yes. after I

Customer Question

2004 prius. Turn signal keeps blowing fuse
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: yes. after I replace the fuse, the left turn signals will work. if I switch to the right side it blows the fuse
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just replacing the fuse, I've read it may be a flasher relay issue, but I don't know where to locate it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I use the standard 10amp fuse the left side will work until I switch to the right, which will blow the fuse. If I add a 20 amp fuse to test, the left side works, the right side will flash once and then stop but won't blow the fuse and I'm able to switch to the left again.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

It's obvious that there is a direct short circuit to ground in the left turn signal circuit, next step is to find out if it's front or rear, start at the rear, unplug the rear light assembly from the car harness, check if the fuse still blows, the front may blink rapidly that is normal, if the fuse still blows do the same at the front turn signal disconnect it and re check, let me know the result of this. Thanks.