Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1991 Toyota pickup with the V6. About 6 months ago…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 1991 Toyota pickup with the V6. About 6 months ago I took it to a mechanic to have the knock sensors replaced. As I would have to open the engine to do so I didn't want to do that in my yard. Since then it has not really done any better. It idles at different places and is burning rich. I decided a month ago to check what was going on as I was still getting a knock sensor code. I checked the physical timing and it checks out according to the notches on the crank and both came and the harmonic balancer is correct too

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The truck will not run when placed at 10 before TDC. It will only run when the spark is timed way in advance I'm guessing 60 to 80 degrees before TDC. The compression is at 120 on the 1 3 5 6 cylinders and at 110 on the 2 4. The wires for the knock sensor was damaged at the connector so I straight wired it. I have replaced the plugs and wires. But still cannot get it to work good. Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

What 80 you don't make sense are you really reading tgis. Your answers don't have anything to do with the question.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No connect me

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
8/4/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Give me a few moments and I'll be back with some information.

T​he problem I see here is that first of all the compression is somewhat low, it should be more around 160-180 psi. since the engine doesn't want to run unless the timing is way advanced I would have a look at the timing belt and the cam timing and go from there. If you need any info about the timing marks on the cams please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked that. It is all right as long as the timing sprockets have not slipped. To my knowledge they can only go on one way.

Thanks for the reply

If the belt is worn it can slip on the sprockets and cause the cam timing to be off

You have checked for that and the timing marks are set correctly, is this correct?

If the cam/crank timing is ok, it is possible the distributor is not installed correctly, maybe a tooth off. Please recheck to make sure the rotor is pointing to where the #1 cylinder contact is in the cap.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the timing marks and it has a new belt. I can get the spark at 10 before TDC but it won't run.

I think we need to verify that the crank pulley mark is actually at zero with the #1 piston all the way up. Remove the #1 spark plug (the first one on the pass side)

put a thin long screwdriver os rod into the plug hole, rotate the engine by hand slowly until the rod goes up and then just starts to go down, that would be as close to TDC as you can get, the pulley should be at zero and the cam dots still aligned with the marks on the sheet metal plate

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was where I checked the timing the crank pulley was still on and it showed to be at TDC with the three sprockets. Could this engine be 180 out of time I don't think it would even fire if that was the case.

It would not run at all in this condition. What I have come across in cases like this is the crank pulley which is two piece separated and the outer part was not aligned anymore with the inner hub, another scenario could be that the keyway on the crank pulley was damaged due to a loose pulley and the crank pulley was able to turn on the crankshaft. The only other thing I can think of is that the exhaust system or cat converter is about 90% clogged up

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what I should do is break it down and check the crank pulley even though the sprocket and pulley showed TDC at the same time. An make sure the catalytic converter is not stopped up. Are the sprocket and crank pulley one peice. In other words would they turn on the crank together and would checking with the screw driver for TDC show the same thing.

C​hecking with the sdrewdriver on top of the cylinder will verify if the iming marks are lined up on the cam sprockets, they are one piece but they have three dowel pin holes, the center pin hole must be lined up with the dowel. Once at TDC the crank pulley should be at the zero mark, if not then there is a problem with the pulley.

If you have a vacuum gauge you can check vacuum at cranking, connect the hose directly to the intake chamber plenum, this should be high at about 18" on the gauge, if this is ok the exhaust is not restricted.