Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My 90 4runner sunroof opens fine but will only close 1/2…

Customer Question
My 90 4runner sunroof opens...
My 90 4runner sunroof opens fine but will only close 1/2 way. How do I get it to close
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
8/4/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we proceed. Hoe long has this issue been going on?

Just started today. It makes a whining noise when the sun roof stops at 1/2 way closed. It will still open ok. Just won't close past 1/2 way
Is there a way to manually close the sunroof?

Thanx for that info. This sounds like either something is jamming the trac or a cable problem . You will have to gain access to look at the cables . I don't know how handy you are so let me know so I can assist you doing some checks.

I can fix pretty much anything. Just need to know how

Fair enough. the first thing to gain access to see the cables is to remove the sun roof. This can be done by sliding the inner panel back as far as can do. with the roof fully closed there are cver pieces that hide the rails on the inside , they just clip or pull out. Then with a light to see better there should be two nuts holding the glass on each side . Remove those and lift the glass out of the way. Now you can operate the motor and watch the operation, to see where it stops. Check the cable for frays and anything in the rails jamming it.

If you need me to walk you through this I can offer a service via phone through this sight to do so . Can do this tomorrow if you wish.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician