Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Toyota Solara Convertible. Right side high beam

Customer Question
2007 Toyota Solara Convertible...

2007 Toyota Solara Convertible . Right side high beam headlight does not work . Bulb good , fuse good . There is no power to bulb socket .

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No fluctuation , consistently no power .

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes , I am troubleshooting myself . Was trying to figure out if headlight relay switch or stalk switch in steering column is defective .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I have done so far.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
8/2/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, have you checked the headlight fuses in the box under the hood, each side low and high beams have separate fuses.

There are two 10A fuses , and two 15A fuses . ( LH -Lower / LH -Upper , RH-Lower / RH -Upper , ) All fuse were pulled and checked - good . Checked with volt meter with headlight switch on , all 4 showing power across pins in top of fuses .

Ok, that's good, the problem seems to be at the front at the headlights, possibly an open wire from the working headlight over to the other one, they are in series, maybe you can just run a new wire over from the working light.

O.K. Took another look this morning , comparing fuse schematic to actual fuse box. Discovered there was a missing relay in the DRL 2 and DRL 3 set ( Empty socket ) . Pulled one to fill in the empty slot , and the right headlight / highbeam was working . Temporarily removed an identical fan relay and both headlight highbeams are working . DRL= Day Time Running Lights . I just recently purchased this car and was getting ready for state inspection when I discovered the headlight problem . For some reason , someone had purposely removed the relay and was not replaced . Now I need to find a replacement for the missing one . So in conclusion , there are 4 fuses and at least 3 relays involved with the headlights, incuding 1 bigger main relay for total headlight fuctions.
Thanks for that update you should be able to get that relay from any auto parts store
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech