Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2000 Camry driver's side floor is soaked all of a sudden. I

Customer Question

2000 Camry driver's side floor is soaked all of a sudden. I ruled out AC condenser, it was clear.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The a/c evaporator is on the passenger side, did it rain before this happened or go through a car wash?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both sides were a little wet which is why I checked but the driver's side was more wet. No rain or car wash.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A day before this started, we had some repairs done on it. front strut, control arm, sway bar, alignment. I can't see how that would be relevant but thought I'd mention it.

T​hanks for the reply, if the water was clear and no rain or other water got on the car then the only thing that makes sense to me is that it came from the a/c evaporator housing meaning the drain tube to the outside may be clogged, however I have never seen a drain tube exit on the driver's side, it's always on the passenger side.

Under normal circumstances there is no reason for the floor to be wet after the repairs you mentioned and I don't see any correlation there.

Try to dry it out and keep an eye on it, maybe it happened while in the shop, we don't know what, they could have spilled water in it and didn't realize and didn't clean it out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did clean out the drain already and you are correct, it is on the passenger's side. Could it have a leak somewhere else in the cooling system where it would be leaking? We had a van with a leaky windshield seal once so I know that can happen, but Like I said, it happened on Sunday and there was no rain of car wash. And it happened quite rapidly, which leads to back to the AC. So is another leak possible? That might explain being wet on both sides??
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's definitely water, clear and no smell. It was mostly dry and on Sunday suddenly got wet again. So a mystery I guess? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But if there was an AC leak somewhere, would it not throw a code or two?
No the computer doe not monitor system leaks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
could it be leaking condensate and coming out both sides?

Sorry for delay, was out of town.

Possibly yes, from what I know so far there is no way water can get there unless it leaked in from the sunroof or windshield and the a/c evaporator core.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Rats, was afraid you would say that. I am removing carpet to dry out and then will drive it with AC on to see if it leaks. If it is the evap core, this car is junk to me. thanks.

T​he evaporator itself actually doesn't leak, it's the water that accumulates due to the refrigeration process, there is a drain pipe at the bottom of the housing that exits through the firewall, during normal operation you should see some water exit out of the pipe, you can see the housing and the pipe where it goes through the firewall on the passenger side after you pull the carpet out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, I misunderstood then. As I already stated, I took out the drain hose and cleaned it some, but it was not clogged. It just had normal deposits on it. Therefore, if water is still coming in, I was assuming the AC core could be leaking condensate. But you are saying that it will not leak in that way, so we are back to square one. Thoughts?

My fault, I should have re read your earlier post, if there is water collected inside the housing it should exit when the hose is pulled off but sometimes there can be debris inside clogging the drain hole, if you suspect this poke something (coathanger) jus5t inside and see if it can be dislodged.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I poked my "baby finger" in the hole and found nothing. So something could be lodged up higher yet? And if it was clogged higher up, would it not be at least dripping a tiny bit with the hose removed?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not to mention that water would mostly be on the passenger's side instead of collecting as it has on the driver's side.

If there's anything clogging the drain it would be right there at the drain hole, it sounds like there is no problem with that. maybe it's best to dry everything out and keep checking or even better dry the floor and drive it without the carpet a couple of days, if any water should collect it would be very easy to locate.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's my plan for now, thx

You're welcome and good luck.