Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 05 corolla that doesn't have a check engine light

at all. I replaced the...
I have a 05 corolla that doesn't have a check engine light at all. I replaced the alt100a fuse because it was blown. Replaced ecu,starter and nothing. I tried putting my jeep battery in there and that's when the fuse blew. I'm thinking the ecu isn't getting power. Any suggestions?
8/2/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions to help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we proceed, where are you now? Does it crank over and start or cranks but don't start?no start?

no start. Wont even crank.
I think that i'm not getting power to the ecu maybe? I pulled and checked all the fuses.

I think you have blown more than just that fuse so check the other high amp ones closer.

Any idea what ones that would be? I've switch most of them around. Checked relays and they appear to be fine.

it will be one of the main fuseable-links under hood in the main fuse block

Which fuse powers the ecu? Does the alt100a fuse have anything to do with the ecu?

EFI FUSE IN THE MAIN FUSE BLOCK

Ok because I believe I switched that with another and still nothing. I'm about to just burn this car. I'll check tomorrow

lets not be hasty, I realize your frustrated but if we take this one step at a time I'm sure we can turn this around and give me a better ratting as well. Are you game to give it a shot? Lets get it to crank first as the ECU has nothing to do with that part ok.

Ok I'm leaning towards the key ignition. I got a test light and all the fuses check out except three. I believe they are switched fuses. I tested my ignition with a light and one is constant power. I turn ignition and two more gain power but nothing for the other three wires.

Now your talking, that is where I was getting to as well. Go to the starter relay and check there for two sources of power, one will be constant and another powers up when you turn the key to start. If that does not happen and all fuses ok then I would agree it would be the ignition switch, that may be also no power to ECU . You can also jump connectors at relay to check starter circuit.

I checked the starter relay and it tested good. Also I checked the plug on the starter that goes to the ignition and there's no power there either. How many wires need power once ignition is switched? All 6 wires? I know there is no power to the ecu being there is no cel or maintainace required lights on. Also, I noticed there was never a fuse in the am2 fuse spot. For giggles I put a fuse in there and all the lights went on and the car cranked but wouldn't start. I know there was never a fuse in there cause fuses don't vanish into thin air

yes interesting , but did you check the pins for those two power sources as I suggested at the relay socket ?

I checked the relay but I didn't check if it's getting power. If I wasn't getting power to the connector on the starter that's wired right to the ignition would I not see power at the starter relay as well?

only through the relay first . if no power on the second connector at the relay when turning key replace the ignition switch.

Ok so basically I'll just stick my test light and make sure I'm getting two constant and turn key and make sure I'm getting 4 constant?

no only concerned with one constant 12v and one will power up when you turn the key to start position. That is the one I want to see light up because if it don't then the ignition switch is faulty.

do you have a circuit tester or just a test light?

I have a multi meter and a test light. The starter relay is in a funky position under the dash. Hope I can get in there with either. What do I set my multimeter to?

be right back . set to 20v check power as stated and ground on otherone

Ok I'm at work it'll be a few hours. I'm horrible with electronics so be patient with me

I understand and no problem.

From what I've studied slots 1&2 will be my constant and the other two will be my switch

I am going to send you and offer so I MAY GUIDE YOU ONE ON ONE OVER THE PHONE , i HAVE THE WIRING DIAGRAM IN FRONT OF ME TO DO SO .

I tested starter relay points. I found one constant and nothing from any other spot. It read 12v

if you had no other one even when Ignition switch in start position then you have a ignition switch issue. I would try a new one and get back to me. And please reconsider that negative ratting as I am here to help you to the end and offer you what you need to fix this.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
I will for sure. It was that I paid 23$ for this and I hadn't heard back from you in almost a day. I thought you gave up on me.
Hey do I need to buy just the white ignition starter switch or do I need to buy the whole key cylinder too.

Just the switch part not the cylinder

Well I got the new ignition switch and still nothing? What else can I try?
Once again I have no power to starter relay. But when I put in the am2 fuse that was never there I have power to everything. It turns over and starts but stalls right away. Why doesn't mine originally not have this fuse?

Like most cars they have an auxiliary circuit and that is one for a different application. I forgot to ask you if yours is automatic or standard transmission.

It's automatic.

Ok you safety neutral switch may be cancelling the signal to the relay, try moving the shiftier as you turn the key. I will get that wiring for your stating system tomorrow and send it off to you as soon as I can.

Yeah I thought of that. I put it in neutral and moved it all through the positions earlier today. I've researched this problem for almost 4 weeks now. I really appreciate your help through this!

Some times they can stump you and is not easy try to diag over the internet , would rather be there but with patience we can hopefully find the problem. Just for the hell of it did you look in the main fuse block under the hood for a relay that may have something to do with the starter? because this is exhausting just about everything expect the ECU . I will send that wiring diagram Monday after work

I swapped most of the relays around to see if anything happened and it didn't do anything. I've only heard of the alt100a fuse . Which did blow and I replaced that. Not sure of other relays that would control starting

Ok then let me get the wiring diagram and study it as wellas send it off to you. Won't be until Monday though

Ok thanks! Talk to you then

yup.

What is the starter cut relay?

That is the relay operated through the Ecu by either the safety neutral switch or clutch pedal switch to disable or allow the starter to operate, If either one of those inputs are faulty the ECU dis allows the starter to operate, but either one of those are functioning properly and no signal to starter relay then you may have an ECU problem which I was getting to. It is quite possible you fried the ECU before that 100 amp fuse blew.

But it's a brand new ecu. I just installed in last Wednesday. I sent my old one out to ASI and they didn't find anything wrong with it.
Biggest things we know are that the ecu isn't getting power. Only three wires on ignition switch are getting power. Only one spot is getting power on starter relay.

here are the diagrams as promised.

perhaps if you accept the service I offer with these diagrams I can walk you through it better.

I would but I just had it towed to a mechanic. I'll keep you posted if they find anything. We really need this car fixed. Thanks for everything and I will be back n touch for sure.

Print out those diagrams and take them with you may help.We may have missed a fuse link at the battery that gives power to ECU or something silly like that.

I'm thinking it's a fusible link. I checked continuity at neutral safety switch and it checked out. My wife and I just double checked all the relays we could find. If they can't find anything I will for sure accept your offer and talk to you over the phone. Maybe the fusible link it bad from the alt100a fuse?
The mechanic said he hooked it up to the computer and something isn't recognizing from the ignition to the ecu. Thinks maybe it's not recognizing the key? Not sure that makes sense
Any suggestions??

that would only be if your vehicle has an immobilizer , does it?

Pretty certain. Got off the phone with mechanic and they can't figure it out. Where is it?

if it does it is part of the internal programing inside the ECU . It may have just lost comunication with the key and needs to be reprogrammed. In this event they will need a scanner to do that.

What's about the immobilizer ring? In my research I saw that pop up. If I get the vehicle towed back to my house I'm gonna give you a call so we can walk through this together.

again if it indeed has an immobilizer yes that pick up could be damaged too.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician