Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I ride a 03 wideglide with about 12k miles the "check

Customer Question
i ride a 03 wideglide...
i ride a 03 wideglide with about 12k miles the "check engine" light came on while riding,not much info in the manual what should i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
8/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, pull the codes and let me know what they are, here's how

1. Remove right side saddlebag and side cover if so equipped. Remove protective plug from data link connector. Other models will be under the seat.

2. To activate the diagnostic feature,follow these steps.
a. Create diagnostic test wire or use a female spade clip which will bridge the two terminals perfectly.
b. Install diagnostic test wire/clip across Terminals 1 and 2 on the data link connector, they are marked.
c. Turn Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION and wait approximately 10 seconds (4 seconds lamp ON, 6 seconds lamp OFF) for check engine lamp to start flashing.

3. All trouble codes are sent out as a series of flashes. To retrieve the first digit of the trouble code simply observe the number of times the lamp flashes.
a. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code.
b. The length of time the lamp is illuminated and the length of time in which it is off are each about 0.5 second in duration.

4. The second digit follows:
a. Following the transmission of the first digit, there is a 1.2 second pause in which the lamp is off.
b. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the second digit of the trouble code. Count the number of times the lamp flashes to retrieve the second digit.

5. If more than one trouble code is sent:
a. Following transmission of the second digit of the first code, there is a 3 second pause in which the lamp is off.
b. Once all codes have been sent, the data string is repeated. When you have recorded the same trouble code twice, it is an indication that the transmission has been restarted and that all trouble codes have been retrieved.