Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Cruise control shut down while driving and the check engine

Customer Question

Cruise control shut down while driving and the check engine light and trac off light came on at the same time. It is a 2013 Highlander.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have not tried anything. I am a female looking to have it serviced. Just need some idea what it could be.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The cruise control shut off because the check engine light turned on, the same for the trac control, these are disabled as long as the check engine light is on. It should be diagnosed for the check engine light first, in order for me to help I need some diagnostic code information which are code numbers stored in the computer. Most autoparts stores like Autozone, Advance Auto etc can help you with that and they do this at no charge in all states excpt CA. Please provide this information when possible and reply to me here, thank you.