Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 MR2 Spyder what interval is suggested to change the…

Customer Question
2002 MR2 Spyder...

2002 MR2 Spyder what interval is suggested to change the fluid and is there a filter that should be changed also?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Maserati Spyder. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Wrong it is a Toyota MR2 Spyder and the fluid is the SMT.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
Be sure we are talking about the SMT transmission Sequential Manual Transmission, 5 Speed.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
7/31/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 8 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

there is no filter for the smt transmission,fluid drain & refill only

I would drop that fluid each 50,000 miles, they specs are 100 k miles ,but my experience change them earlier

the transmission and differential are part of the same unit and sit in the same housing together. So changing the transmission fluid in the Spyder is the same as changing the differential fluid.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I would like to do my own maintenance on my SMT transmission. Is it something that an owner can do himself? What are the detail instructions. Do you do a flush or just a fluid replacement. It is said that many fluid changes are only replacing 40% of the total fluid in the reservoir. What are your thoughts on this? What are Toyota's?

NO FLUSH , JUST DRAIN AND REFILL

Yes you can drain and refill yourself,I sent you drain and refill plugs LOCATIONS ,IT IS THAT SIMPLE

Below is some helpful information for all SMT owners:

Maintenance:
The SMT fluid should be flushed and filled every 5 years or 50,000 miles. It is a unique fluid so be sure to use Toyota OEM fluid. It does get dirty and absorbs moisture which accelerated failure of the HPU and GSA units.

SPECS ,CAPACITY FLUID AND BRAND

Sequential Manual Transaxle M/T Oil Capacity w/ Limited Slip Differential: 2.2 US qt. (2.1 L, 1.8 Imp. qt.) Fluid type: ............................. Gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5 SAE 75W-90 M/T Oil Capacity w/o Limited Slip Differential: 2.4 US qt. (2.3 L, 2.0 Imp. qt.) Fluid type: ............................. Gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5 SAE 75W-90 Sequential Manual Transaxle System Fluid Type .................................. Sequential M/T fluid or equivalent Notice Using fluid other than Toyota Genuine Sequential M/T fluid may cause deterioration in shift performance and durability and ultimately damage the sequential manual transmission of your vehicle.

Thank You

Chad Farhat

1. The fluid needs to be checked when the car is level and there is no pressure in the accumulator (this is done by putting car in "N", shutting off ignition. Must be on a level surface. Remove battery. Remove HPU Relay from engine room R/B. Install battery and connect terminals. Remove air filter).
2. There is a window to check the level on the reservoir tank. If it's low, add fluid. If there's a leak, new O-ring, oil seal, gaskets, or other parts need to be replaced.
3. The BGB says do NOT overfill.

3. The BGB says do NOT overfill.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician