Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Have a 99 toyota camry with 2.2 keep having stall issues

Customer Question

have a 99 toyota camry with 2.2 keep having stall issues sometimes starts right back up other times will start and die right away wait few minutes will start up and run fine for 10-min or 2 hrs???
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yep had a p0401 code replaced the egr valve replaced vacuum modulator and vacuum selnoid is working
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: all listed plus cleaned throttle body and AIC valve and replaced couple vacuum hoses.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thinking of replacing coolant sensor was told they can go bad and cause this sort of issue.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The coolant temp sensor is a possibility, the most common cause is a sticking IAC valve, I know it was cleaned but did you check to make sure it's not hanging up? I assume there is no check engine light. Make sure the vacuum hose on the center port on the iac is not loose or leaking, It may be necessary to replace the iac valve, sometimes cleaning it does not take care of the problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the check engine light does come on not sure yet if it is the same code as before,and this IAC valve has the two coolant lines on the bottom but dont see or feel one in the middle.

B​eside the two coolant hoses there is one vacuum hose port coming from the intake plenum, double check to make sure it's connected. Can you get the current code for me?

I just checked, the 1999 doesn't have the vacuum hose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no wont be able to get till later the last time was p0401 EGR valve think might be one it had before p0466 was for valve back by charcole vapor canister.

T​hanks, the EGR code is for insufficient egr gas flow, it won't cause the stalling issues. If it's an evap code it may have something to do with it possibly a purge vsv malfunction, see if you can get the present code and let's go from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thanks

You're welcome.