Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Putting new motor22 re with auto trans block stops at half…

Putting new motor22 re...

Putting new motor22 re with auto trans block stops at half inch away from trans

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

89 pickup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself never had a problem in past with Ford Chevy

7/30/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

It sounds like the torque converter is not all the way engaged with the splines on the front oil pump, do not force it you will damage the front pump, remove the transmission and rotate the torque converter until it is all the way in and engaged with the splined shafts.

The flywheel mounting bolt holes on the converter should be about an inch back from the edge of the bellhousing.

I'm putting the motor and convertor in as one piece do I need to put converter on trans first then motor

Yes always put the converter on the transmission first making sure that it's all the way in, it has to go over three splined shafts, it can take a little while to get it lined up but you have to turn and push in at the same time.

No way to do it as one unit like it came out
OK

You can bolt the transmission and engine together before putting it back in.

The converter must be on the transmission not the flywheel.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech