Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2007 rav 4 V6 has some pully noise, its the rav4 limited…

Customer Question
2007 rav 4 V6...

2007 rav 4 V6 has some pully noise

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Toyota?

Its the rav4 limited sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 Limited yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im trying to diagnose where the noise is coming from: the water pump or the tensioner pully. however, i am having trouble getting the tensioner to release the belt

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Never overheated, serviced 1 year ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It sounds like a marbles rolling around in a coffee can

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
7/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. More than likely its going to be the tensioner , do you have a stethoscope? if not they sell them at the local parts stores this would be a great tool to have and they are super cheap.

I dont have a stethoscope.

long screwdriver works too and you can listen to it with your ear on the shaft

hows it coming?

I determined the water pump bearing was failing. Because it is a transverse mounted engine with very lititle space, I found it impractical and possibly hazardous to stick a screwdriver or anything in the area while the engine was running. I finally removed the belt and turned/ wiggled all the pulleys by hand and the water pump didn't turn smoothly. So I replaced the pump and the noise is resolved. It was a pain to do because of the lack of space, and had to remove the engine mount which required a whole lot of impact wrench.

very nice! glad we got that figured out do you have any more questions?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician