Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1997 Toyota Camry with 4 cylinder engine. Automatic

transmission. I noticed my coolant...
1997 Toyota Camry with 4 cylinder engine. Automatic transmission. I noticed my coolant temp gauge went from cold to operating temp and I only drove 3 miles. The car has been sitting for at least 9 hours now. Outside temp is 71 degrees. Took my handy d***** *****ttle Innova scan tool and looked at the live data. It says the coolant temp is 84 degrees. Cranked the car up and ran it for around 3 minutes at 2000 rpm. It hit 160 degrees and the gauge shows operating temp. New thermostat put in a year ago. ECT sensor? I had a Honda with a similar issue (it read 396 degrees) so I'm thinking the same here.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/30/2017
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

What does the temp say it is if you run it at 2000 rpms for 5 minutes?

I didn't wait that long. Figured things were goofy with it saying 84 and the ambient temp was 71.

You have to remember that the under side of the hood will be insulated and will take longer to cool down. So far I have not seen anything that would be out of the way. The gauge uses a different temp sensor then the pcm does, so they may be off just a little.

I'll crank her up in the morning. What should I be looking for?

The temp over night should be ambient temp, and then should go to around 210 after 5 minutes t 2000 rpms.

OK. I'll get back to you.

Thank you.

Sorry, I got a little behind. So, the outside temp was 79 degrees. The car was in the shade and my scanner read 73 degrees. This was a cold start since the car sat overnight. Ran it at 2000 rpm for 5 minutes and it then read 174 degrees. I guess what freaked me out was the fact it hit the normal operating temp marks on the gauge after only driving 3 miles. It was from a cold start also.

3 miles should have taken you about 5 minutes. I do not see anything to worry about, other then the fact the car should have gotten up to about 190-210, which is normal operating temp. I believe that you should replace the thermostat as it may be going bad.

OK. Interesting thing is I replace it with the OEM when I did the head gasket job just under a year ago. At least it's easy enough to get to and reasonably priced.

The car will get better gas mileage if the temp is at around 200 and you will get better heat this winter.

You know I cursed myself a week or so ago by saying I haven't had to do any repairs to my cars lately (I have 5). No sooner than I said that my wife's Kia Sorento developed idler and tensioner pulley noise. I replaced those last Saturday. I then saw the front brake pads need replacing. I'll be doing that tomorrow (I took a few days off). I guess I'll add this to the list. I also put little videos out on my YouTube channel when I repair stuff. Hmmmm, I better stock up on my Pepsi......

Sounds like you have your hands full for a day or two. Let me know if you need any more help.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Thanks

You are very welcome.