Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I own a 2008 crew-cab, 4x4, 6 cylinder, automatic

Customer Question
I own a 2008...

I own a 2008 crew-cab, 4x4, 6 cylinder, automatic transmission tacoma. According to the literature that came with it it has a 6,000 lb. towing capacity. I'm towing a 4,900 travel trailer. The truck does fine on level to slight inclines. It will jump up to 4,500 - 5,000 rpms on steep grades. Red line is 5,500 rpms. Am I running a risk of damaging the truck, especially the automatic transmission?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

149,000 miles with all original equipment including transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Tacoma?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

No problems at this time. I'm asking if I'm running the risk of damaging the truck, especially the transmission, towing a 4,900 lb. trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope. Guess I should say that Toyota says the truck has a 6,000 lb towing capacity.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
7/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. More than likely its close to 5500-6000 with supplies in the trailer and people in vehicle, I would suggest a very big trans cooler and brake controller to help take the load off the truck. Is all the terrain your in mountainous ?

Live in Willamette Valley, Oregon. Travel in valley relatively flat. Have to go over mtn. passes to travel any direction out of valley. Passes range from 1,200 ft. to over 7,000 ft. Higher passes all have extended 6% grades. Usually go to mtns. so lots of climbing.

everything should be ok but I would upgrade for sure with those types of hills, maybe even brakes on your vehicle as well , closely monitor the fluid too, ive seen people having to change fluids every 15k when towing like that, but with proper maintenance and care that toyota should tow like a champ, I LOVE TOYOTAS, you should google the commercial with the lockness monster its a classic for sure

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician