Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Fuel pump on 92 Camry dose not want to turn on just

Customer Question
Fuel pump on 92...

Fuel pump on 92 Camry dose not want to turn on just installed new pump and filter turn on ignition and pump doe not turn on

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes I can turn steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

New fuel pump and filter installed no fuel pressure pump is not turning on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not sure what relay tells pump to turn on

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Toyota
7/29/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 9 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

The two relays that turn on the fuel pump are the EFI and the circuit opening relay, the pump should run when the engine is cranking.

Use the diagnostic check connector under the hood, locate the terminals FP and B+ in the connector and put a short jumper wire between these terminals, turn the key on, the pump should then run, doing this bypasses the relays, let me know what happens, I'm going off line for tonight, will have more time in the morning after you reply.

I did the jumper wire from fp to +B turned on ignition also cranked and pump dose not turn on?
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 months ago

Thanks for the reply, is there 12 volts at the B+ terminal in the check connector?

Using multimeter from B+ to ground no reading to positive on battery 12 volts

Thanks, ***** ***** to be sure I understand before going off in the wrong direction, there is no voltage when measuring from B+ to ground? The key has to be ON.

that is correct

I'm going to look at a wiring diagram to see why that is.

In the fuse box under the hood pull the EFI main relay out, check voltage at each terminal where the relay plugs in, turn the key on, there should be about 12 volts to two of the terminals.

there is 12 volts

With the relay in does it click when turning the key on and off?

Is this a 4 cyl or V6?

It's 4 cyl and I tested the relay earlier by putting 12 volts to rely and I could feel it pull in but I can't feal it pull with it plugged in and turn key off and on
I was wrong when I put 12 volts to relay it pulls in but the thermal block in car when key is on no voltage comes to there if you get what I'm saying

Ok, could be a bad ground at the relay or an open wire between it and the B+ terminal at the check connector, it sounds like it's not working when plugged in. I'll try to keep this as simple as I can without having to send a diagram. Pull the relay again, make not of which two terminals have voltage with key on, there are two left, one is ground the other goes to the B+ terminal a few other components. With voltmeter plug the negative probe into either of the remaining terminals, touch the positive to the battery positive post, if you see voltage then that is the ground, do this for the other terminal, one of them is ground whichever shows volts. The remaining terminal goes to the B+ in the connectror, now make a short jumper wire from one of the terminals with 12 volts to the one that is not grounded. This will complete the circuit and there will be or should be voltage at B+ Let me know how that goes.

No voltage come to block that need voltage to pull in relay

Sorry, I'm a little confused now, you said there was voltage to two of the terminals in the space where the relay goes.

Sorry for confusion I jumper out EFI and get power to pump and B+ termanl so dose this mean relay is no good

Yes, That is what it sounds like, go ahead and put another one in and see what it does, I think it will fix this.

Let me know

I have to order one I will let you no thanks for now

You're welcome, good luck.

Hey Ted I've been real busy but picked up EFI relay did not fix problem so what next I'm going away until next Tuesday so I will ask questions then

Ok, let's continue then, one other thing you may want to try to eliminate the fuel pump and the associated wiring but not relays: run a hot wire directly from the battery to the FP terminal in the check connector.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech