john
john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

Lost my 2017 rav4 key...they did not give me a second key

Customer Question

Lost my 2017 rav4 key...they did not give me a second key when I leased it in Jan...
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: Never heard of that...think there may be a valet key but it's in the car
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I need to get one quickly...am stranded here at home and have appointments...will probably have to get new key from dealer...what do they run? Do I need to have the car towed to dealer?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Like what?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 2 months ago.

they have to be programed to the car a new key and programing generally runs around 300 dollars some mobil locksmiths can also perform this service