Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

Makes clicking noise then cuts off, replaced engine noise

Customer Question

makes clicking noise then cuts off
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: replaced engine noise came after
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Toyota highlander 2003
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: these are codes I got p1300 p1305 p1310 p1320 p1325
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Sounds like you have some bad coils

1. Verify good battery voltage to each ignition coil on the Black/Red wire at each coil.

2. Verify the ground is good on the Brown wire at each coil - look for 0.05 volts or less.

3. Scope the Ignition Trigger (IGT) signals to each coil when the engine is cold and compare to when hot when it acts up - look for clean consistent 0-5 volt square wave signals and see if any coil signal looks different than the others.

4. Can scope the IGF signal on the White/Red wire when the engine is cold and compare to when hot when the problem occurs and look for the clean consistent 0-5 volt signal.

5. Can use a low amp current probe on the Black/Red wire at each coil and look at the current flow of each ignition coil when running and compare when the engine is cold to when hot and see if they are all the same current ramp pattern or a different current ramp pattern when the problem occurs.

6. Scope the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor and look for a clean consistent AC sine wave signal and compare cold and hot.

It could still be another ignition coil and may need 4 more new coils. The Ignition Confirmation (IGF) signal is a 5.0 volt reference from the ECM that each ignition coil pulses to ground.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

.

Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 2 months ago.

Please also note that you are getting 20 years of electrical and mechanical knowledge and experience at a fraction of the cost of a dealer, giving me a rating is the ONLY way im compensated for my time and knowledge, I hope that you will respect this by giving me a 5 star rating as customer satisfaction is my number one goal. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free for 3 more weeks!