Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2001 Celica gt. I swapped the 1zz 5 speed to a 2zz

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Celica gt. I swapped the 1zz 5 speed to a 2zz 6 speed, both are jdm. The 6 speed (c60) didn't come with a vss gear. I think it may have got speed signal from abs sensors. That I do not have. So I bought a vdo gps signal sender but I can't figure out what to tie the speed signal wire to?l
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It came out of a 00-05 Celica. The brake switch seems to be working fine
JA: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a mechanic but I'm pretty knowledgeable. 1st we tied the vdo signal wire to the vss signal wire. Actually that's all we have tried
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm concerned that the combination meter built into the instrument cluster may have to be specific. For the signal I need. 5 speed or 6 speed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The original speed sensor in the 5 speed sends a analog wave form to the speedometer the speedometer then converts it to a square on/off signal that the computer can identify and use as input. Your gps sensor probably has a digital output, the speedometer can not use this. The only solution possibly is to wire the gps directly to the speed input wire on the computer but your speedometer odometer will still not work because it needs an analog input.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you know which wire on the computer? Or know of another speedo that puts out analog? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the 6 speed the same as the 5 speed?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

I'll have to check a wiring diagram for the wire color and position on the ECM and get back to you.

4c9c227f-54b4-4ba6-a097-f5b07b08b640_180806-Page1.jpg

Click on this link, the spd input wire for the ecm is on connector E3 terminal 22, it is a white/red wire.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well that didn't work. I wish I could find a gps speed sender that has the correct analog output?

G​ood luck with that, it seems everything is digital these days, Toyota later went to the system where each wheel has a speed sensor which are square wave and these go directly to the ecm and then to the speedo, sorry but that's about all the help I'm gonna be with this , best of luck.