Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I can't separate the main fuse box in order to replace the

Customer Question
main fuse on my 04...
I can't separate the main fuse box in order to replace the main fuse on my 04 toyo seqouia
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Toyota. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
I was reading on your page a previous answer on main fuse replacement and you mentioned a process to separate the main fuse box underneath the hood. I have a fuseable link that I need to replace for the ABS and I can't get underneath to access the screws. I broke the old one off from the top and something sparked when my wrench slipped so I think I shorted the main fuse bc the SUV will start then idle only at 500 rpm then shutoff. Help!
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I don't see a response yet and I have not received a call. Please let know what is going on.
7/24/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. Sorry you waited so long as I just saw your question. I read your question and have a question before we proceed. have you disconnected the battery and unfastened the bolts holding the main fuse block in place so you can turn it upside down?

I unplugged the battery and taken off the four bolts, but I feel like I'm going to tear a wire if I try to flip it over. Everything still feels tight on the wiring harness. Should I be able to flip it over with just the bolts taken off?

NO YOU WILL HAVE TO UNDO SOME CLAMPS HOLDING THE WIRE HARNESS SO YOU CAN TURN OVER, IT'S NOT THAT EASY AS YOU WILL FIND-OUT, BIT OF A PAIN.

THERE IS A 10MM NUT AT THE TOP YOU HAVE TO REMOVE AS WELL

In your case would recommend removing battery , would make life easier.

I removed the battery and that 10MM nut on top of fuse box.
Would like to finish working on this. Please send steps to get to fusible link and main fuse. Thanks

did you loosen up the wiring harness so you can turn it upside down?

I loosened it but there are zip ties at a couple locations holding the wires in place preventing the movement of the fuse box and harness. Do I cut the zip ties to see if it frees up?

yes you have to , actually they are special ties that have a plug that locks into a hole in the body holding the harness in place . You can get them at the dealer or parts store.

Ok. I'll cut those and get back to you. Thanks

ok here to the end.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician