Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2002 Sequoia, would crank put not start. After a little

Customer Question

My 2002 Sequoia, would crank put not start. After a little trouble shooting, I thought a fuel pump would be the fix. Not the case. More investigation I found the C/opn relay not getting neg. From the ECM. I opened the glove box, (hopeing to see some wire rubbed or something) everything looks fine. Giving up I tryed to start it one more time...and the silly thing started up! I shut it off and put the fuse box covers on, close the hood, going to move it out of the way for now....and NO START AGAIN! The same C/opn neg. problem. The next morning it starts and hasn't failed again yet. Please HELP!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

As you said and which is correct, the ECM supplies the ground path to turn the C/Opn relay on. The ECM needs a couple of signal verifications like rpm(cam and crank angle), spark confirmation etc. When the ground is lost something is missing that the ECM needs to see. Have you checked for any diagnostic code information?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not. I am afraI'd to go anyway with it, to have it plugged in. The intermittency of it is going to be a problem. Is there a way to retrieve codes through the vehicle?

Is there an Autozone or O Reilly close by? they read codes for free, you could also invest in an inexpensive basic code reader.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I borrowed a code reader. Look for codes last night and there are no store decodes at this time. I took the borrowed code reader back this morning. I got home from work I tried it, and the silly thing will not start again. The only thing different from yesterday to today is the humidity, temperature, and date.

I​ will have to get back to you tomorrow morning.

The wire that is supposed to be grounded by the ECM is intermittently not grounding and that's why the pump won't run we have established this so far, what I'd try is to run a jumper from that wire on the Copen relay directly to ground, the pump should then run and the engine start, keep in mind this is only a test. Let me know how that goes.