Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My Prius lost throttle the other day. I was driving and all

Customer Question

My Prius lost throttle the other day. I was driving and all of a sudden I couldn't get forward power. The car still had power but quickly lost speed. Then the battery died and would not stay charged when jumped. The codes we got were P3190 and P3191 but no other codes so we have no idea what's causing it.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: I'm not really sure. I remember it sort of sputtered right before the loss of throttle. When we managed to jump it, it ran normal for about a mile and then lost throttle again. The battery went dead about three minutes after I rolled to a stop.
JA: What year is your Prius?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have a local mechanic trying help. He towed us and ran the codes but since there's nothing indicating cause he doesn't know what to do. He's tried jumping it himself but it won't stay running.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting

It sounds like it either ran out of gas or the fuel pump quit causing it to run on the hybrid battery until it ran out, which doesn't take long. The mechanic you are dealing with should check the fuel pressure first, there have been cases of fuel gauge inaccuracies causing the car to run out of gas, this should be checked first in this case. Those codes that were recorded mean the gas engine did not start.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wow, that sounds fairly easy. So, if that's the case, it would just need fuel and should be fine?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

That is what I'm getting from your post, the mechanic needs to check fuel pressure first, check to make sure it's not out of gas, it may need to have the fuel pump replaced, hope this helps and good luck.