Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

It cranks and runs very roughly for only a few seconds then

Customer Question

It cranks and runs very roughly for only a few seconds then shuts off. I thought it was a fuel pump so I replaced it and the strainer. No change in symptoms
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: New pump
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1999 Corolla ve
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New fuel pump and strainer. Yes I am doing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting

have you had a chance to check for any diagnostic codes, do you happen to have a code reader or can you rent or borrow one? If there are any codes in the computer it would help a lot.

It may be a crank angle sensor or something else that's shutting the injectors off.

A little history may also be of some help, how did this come about? Was there any loss of power, misfire before this happened?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My wife said the car had been sputtering and running rough lately. I thought it was due to moisture from all the thunderstorms we've been having and puddles that she was driving through to get down the driveway. I don't have a code reader
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had a code reader but it took a crap on me

Thanks for the reply

A common problem on these engines are the ignition coils, one on each spark plug but I don't want to just guess at this and waste your time and money, anyway you can rent a reader and then get back to me with some code information?

Have you remove dhte spark plugs to have a look at them? there may be a clue there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not. I replaced them about a year ago. The car isn't a daily driver. It has 2 coils that fore 2 plugs each.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This car has the 1.8l engine
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I sprayed ether into the intake through the pvc hose. It didn't make a difference in the way it ran or the duration of run time

Not a fuel problem then, see what you can do about getting some code information and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah. $135 and a new fuel pump later. Lol��

My motto is: always check for computer codes first,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Decent motto
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an iPhone and I know it can be used as a code reader but I'm not sure where to get the app and plug ins

Y​ou probably need an interface of some sort to plug into the diagnostic port, it may be more convenient to just get another basic code reader, you'll most likely need it again sometime.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah. Like trying to figure out why this Hemi ram with the off road package will pass everything but a gas station

I can imagine that. see what you can do.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can sell it������

I was referring to the Corolla.