Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

1998 Celica GT Convertible 5spd manual 175kmi While driving

1998 Celica GT Convertible 5spd manual 175kmi
While driving in any conditions this happens; the engine will hesitate (stall) for a split second, the tach drops to zero and then resumes running and driving normally. It once happened at a stoplight and I was able to restart immediately. This occurred once last year, recently it's been happening about twice a week.
I've notice a drop in mpg as well.
However otherwise the car operates normally and idles perfectly.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions to better help you. I read your notes and have a question before we proceed. Have you got a code reader or can borrow one to see if there are any stored codes in your ECU?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can borrow a code reader.
But I must add that the check engine light is not on and doesn't accompany these symptoms.

sometimes there may be a code stored under history or pending not current with light on, this is where to start. also this may indicate it may not be a sensor if no codes present.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got my ECU scanned this morning and it came back with a fault code for crank sensor.
Do you think this could be the cause of my intermittent stalling condition and lower MPG?

Bang o definitely, and that is where to start with a known fault that can effect it that way. Replace the crank sensor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Peter.
I took the Toyota on a 150 mile trip today and unfortunately, the problem has not cleared up. During the trip I had two stalling bits while on the highway portion and one at a stop sign where it stalled and I had to restart it with the key. It did restart without hesitation. Please advise where to look next
Thanks
Keith

Could you please send my the exact code you had on the scanner as this may have bin different , did you replace the crank sensor? cancel codes and did you re check for codes now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mechanic friend used his Snap-On code reader and it just read out Crank Sensor on the screen.
Yes, a new crank sensor was installed. I don't know if the code was cleared.
I drove it for a few miles around town and it showed no symptoms.
I am now 150 miles from home. It will be until the weekend before I can get back to that scanner.

that reader is very vague on it's assumptions as I prefer to see the code number as it can be the sensor, wiring to the sensor , pick up teeth on the crank or Ecu. si if you don't mind get back to me with that code number or have it read again when you can . I will be here to further assist you.