Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Just finished replacing spark plugs. have it all reassembled

Customer Question

Just finished replacing spark plugs. have it all reassembled except the windshield wiper assembly. Engine starts, revs up for a couple of seconds and dies.
JA: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?
Customer: My apologies! 2007 Sienna with a 3.5 liter engine ( I believe).
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the spark plugs and put it all back together. before changing plugs, it ran just fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I am not a mechanic!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 3 months ago.
Welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** the engine revs up and then stalls is because you may have a vacuum leak do to a gasket or a hose disconnected try starting and lessening for a vacuum leak around the area you where working, check the brake booster vacuum hose is a common thing to forget this hose also check around the intake if you had to remove the top portion to get to the back plugs maybe the gasket is leaking
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your suggestions. This is my former wife's vehicle and they supplied what they thought was needed for parts which did not include intake manifold gaskets. I took a chance and applied white lithium grease very lightly on each of the o rings before reassembling. I'll also try a misting water bottle around the intake to see if that is the culprit as well if I am unable to find a vacuum leak elsewhere..
reusing that gasket is not a good idea they always leak make sure you replace it and at the same time check if you miss a vacuum hose thank you and if you need more assistance just come back and ask I'll be here all day tomorrow.