sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The check hybrid system warning came up on my wife's car

Customer Question

The check hybrid system warning came up on my wife's car along with the check engine light but the car is still driving fine and seems to be discharging and charging the hybrid batter. Also the cruse controls stopped working as soon as the light cam on.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It steady.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2012 Camry hybrid LE
JA: Are you fixing your Camry Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet, I just got back in town but the shop my wife took it to is saying it's the hybrid battery even though it seems to be charging and discharging in the normal amount of driving.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just it's higher in miles for it age (146,000) and the hybrid battery has been properly cycled since buying it new in 2012.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The hybrid warning light can come on for dozens of reasons and it will require some testing to determine what is going on. The light will come on for a failure in any hybrid component including the inverter, transmission, battery, cables, control modules; the light has come on because a failure has been seen in a monitored hybrid powertrain component.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there.If the shop is experienced in hybrid diagnostics and repair then I wouldn't have a reason to doubt their word that it needs a battery.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!