Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry and drivers seat is stuck in the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry and drivers seat is stuck in the forward position. Can't move it backward at all. The back will move forward and backward and the seat will raise up and go down. How do I fix this problem?
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Tried to move it forward and backwards nothing seems to work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Can you locate the drive motor under the seat and move the switch to the rear position? Feel the motor when you move the switch and see if it hums or displays any indication of receiving power. A clunk, a hum, also, the dome light mat dim a bit when you move the switch. Advise of what the motor does and we will proceed from there. Thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hums like it wants to work

Ok. I assume that the seat somehow got moved fully forward for some reason, is this correct?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Ok. What has happened here is the helical gear that the seat fwd/reverse motor drives is 'bound up'. This means that the drive gear has moved past the normal movement travel. This causes the motor to be unable to move the seat backwards. We have had this issue in the shop many times. The cure here is helpers. What you need to do: Have one or two people in the back seat and a really strong-legged person sitting in the front seat. The person sitting in the seat move the seat motor switch to move backward whilst pressing on the floorboard with his feet, pushing the seat backwards. The rear seat people grab the seat where the back meets the bottom cushion. As the seat is switched to move, they pull on the seat backwards. The leg pressure and the pulling action should be enough to relieve the bind ; remember all of this happens at the same time...move the switch, press and pull backwards. This is exactly what my techs and I would do if this car was in our shop.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day