Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

06 camry. I have done everything the TSB has said to do on

Customer Question
06 camry. I have...
06 camry. I have done everything the TSB has said to do on resettin the moonroof, but it is worse than it was.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I followed what Toyota's TSB said to do
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is closed and will barely move in either direction
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
It will not tilt up and it seems out of line when it tries to open.
7/13/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as the phone calls are concerned they do cost more and I am not the one asking for or pushing for a call the website is.

with the glass removed does it function in all operations?

I have not taken it out. A few months ago my moonroof shattered and I changed it out. It has worked fine until the other day that it wouldn't shut. It kept hitting the wind deflector and reopening. I finally got it to shut and did the reset according to the TSB. It did it again a few days later but now it won't tilt up in the up position and it will only slide back about an inch before going back.
Going back and closing. It will not open in any direction.

I would try removing the glass, performing the functions, making sure no binding is occurring in any of the function and let the brackets come back into the resting/neutral position and reinstall glass at clearance specifications.

Okay. It's late here. How do I contact you tomorrow after I do this?
How will I know what the neutral position is?

you can come right back to the question, this will be open for up to a week. And no worries on the time we have plenty of it and I will try to help in any way I can with advice and diagrams and expertise

Okay. How will I know what the neutral position is?

It should have the auto shut and when it finally stops that will be the neutral spot.

Okay. My button is like a toggle switch. Tilt and open.

Ok so open it all the way check for obstructions,binding and any debris or damage, if all is ok go to the close position until function stops and that will be the resting spot. let me see if I can get you some information to help as well

It will not open in either direction.
Up or slide open.

those instructions were for after you remove the glass

Got it. Talk with you tomorrow.

sounds good, before you do all of that, try this procedure and if it dosent work I believe we will have to remove the glass and reset that way

(a)

Reset A

(1)

To reset the sliding roof to the zero point, push and hold the switch on the TILT UP position until

the sliding roof tilts all the way up and tilts down a little automatically.

(2)

Confirm ”one

touch side open and close” and ”one

touch tilt up and down” functions by pushing

the switch briefly to the SLIDE/OPEN position and TILT/UP position.

(b)

Reset B

(1)

Push and hold the switch on the TILT UP/CLOSE position until the sliding roof stops.

(2)

Continue to push and hold the switch on the TILT UP/CLOSE position for 10 seconds or more.

The sliding roof closes to the fully closed position.

(3)

Continue to push and hold the switch on the TILT UP/CLOSE position until the sliding roof tilts

all the way up and tilts down a little automatically.

(4)

Confirm ”one

touch side open and close” and ”one

(c)

Reset C

(1)

(2)

Release

the switch. Within 5 seconds, re

push and

hold the switch on th

e TILT UP/CLOSE posi-

tion.

(3)

The sliding roof automatically moves to the fully open position and then reverses towards the

closed position.

(4)

Release the switch.

(5)

Confirm ”one

touch side open and close” and ”one

the switch briefly to the SLIDE/OPEN position and TILT/UP position

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician