Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2009 Toyota Prius The Prius was dead and jumping did not

Customer Question
2009 Toyota Prius The Prius was...
2009 Toyota Prius
The Prius was dead and jumping did not help. The 12 v battery is tested good, the volt meter at the jump leads under the hood reads 12v plus. there does not seem to be any other fuses blown, what else should we check, no lights, alarms or anything electrical is working ?
Thanks
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
7/12/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic
Hi there, so the car is completely dead? When you tried to jumpstart it, did you use the terminals under the hood?
Just out of curiosity, did your have your booster pack or jumper cables on correctly? For the positive terminal under the hood, only one side of it is metal, and the other side is plastic, meaning the orientation of the clamp is important as sometimes only one side of the clamp actually has the power cable attached to it.
We have jumped it the past and did it the same way

Ok so you had the positive red clamp, with the cable on the same side as the metal on the terminal? does anything in the car work? are you able to unlock the trunk? any lights on in the dash? Can you try jumping directly at the battery in the trunk?

Nothing works,
Had to dig in the inside on the hatch to open it.

And same thing, no power to anything still, with the booster on the battery?

There was nothing

Ok, I will have to opt out, and let another expert chime in to help out.

Thanks anyway,
Bummed
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 5 months ago
mike switzer

have you tried disconnecting the the small battery and connecting the jumper box directly to the cables in place of the battery to see if you get power to the vehicle then?

No,
I will try that.
If that gives power to the vehicle, then what ?
Thanks, Matt
I may not have another vehicle to jump it until later this morning, will let you know.
thanks
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 5 months ago

ok if you do get power that means the small battery is bad. even if tested good. with hybrids like prius they can give false readings on battery tests because of the hybrid batteries.

OK,
disconnecting the the small battery and connecting the jumper box directly to the cables in place of the battery gives NO power to the vehicle....
any more thoughts ?
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 5 months ago

sounds like the main fuse may have blown in the front of the vehicle in the engine bay. in the fuse box there is a yellow ish strip that has a part number on it. on the side you may be able to see clear plastic there are fuses in that for different circuit but it comes as a complete unit. you will need to disassemble the fuse box a bit to really get a good look at it. and to remove it but that is the next place i would check. make sure they are all in tact

Hi, it's Merlin again, I think I may know where your problem lies. Did you still need help with this?

please

Darn, I thought for sure that would be it.

Thanks for your help Merlin.
Tomorrow is another day.

In that picture you sent me, does it have that 5A dc/dc fuse in it?

No, but was blown and was replaced,
it was out when we took the picture.
Good eye !

And how were you able to test the 120A fuse?

Well, removed it, and a 12 volt current went through it. I figured at least it was not blown. I am all ears if you have another thought about it.
I will, we have cracked a beer already,
so will do first thing tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks again. Matt

No rush, I am at work tomorrow during the day, so might be a bit slow in my responses, but I will respond. Might as well check for 12V at that little white wire, in the other connector next to it.

Hi Matt did you get a chance to check that wire?

Thanks, ***** ***** tracked the last few days.
Yea, wire seems good, also took my 12v battery to NAPA and it seemed to load test OK.
So another expert thought the next step would be to get at a main fuse under the hood which involves taking out the visable
fuse box. ? how to get it out and what am I looking for ? Do you agree ?
I appreciate all the help because we have only a good basic mechanic here and Toyota service hundreds of miles away.
I am not sure what a burnt on would look like ?
Any reference to how remove it and / or test it ?
Thanks

Yes so the circled area is where you should be looking, perhaps if you can send me a good quality close up, maybe I can tell. Like I said, you will have to unbolt the fuse box, and look for little tabs all around it, to release so that the box splits into 2 pieces - upper and lower, you will have to undo the nut from the top, and they are usually held in on the bottom, by another bolt. All of this has to be done with the 12V battery disconnected.

Ok, I am on it. Battery is still out anyway.
Thanks so much.
I will take a pic with the plastic off to see a little better.

sounds good.

I have to admit, I am finding it quite hard to see if anything is burnt, I've replaced quite a few of these on different models, but not one that looks like this. Does anything look burnt to you.?
Not really
I'm really sorry, I may have to opt out, you might have a bad inverter.
What / where inverter ?
Thanks,
The inverter is the large device under the hood, next to the engine, it is a main component in the hybrid system.
OK thanks, ***** ***** been a great help!
Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic