Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 98 corolla wont start after changing the starter is there…

Customer Question
My 98 corolla wont...

My 98 corolla wont start after changing the starter is there a wrong way to replace a starter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Connections are good on the battery there is a new battery and alternator on the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes im fixing it myself i changed the starter and its only making 1 click

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/26/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Did you verify the connection to the starter? Was the last start behaving to same way?

I few things could cause your issue. A bad connection in the circuit. To verify this, you will need to check the connection from the battery to the starter and the starter grounds. The issue could be the ignition switch. To verify this you will need check for the voltage at the switch signal wire. Also, the starter relay could be faulty. All of these things could cause your issue. Another cause, would be the neutral safety/clutch switch. Here I have provided the electrical information for the circuits just to give you a better understanding. Also, if the motor is damaged(bound), it may prevent the starter from doing its job. Just a moment, please.

Here is the description and removal information for the neutral safety switch. If this switch fails, it will prevent the vehicle from starting.

Here I am providing testing for the ignition switch. I am actually suspecting the connections or the relay to be the problem, but all these things mentioned are possibilities and should be checked out.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.