Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

The traction battery is starting to fail. I was just

Customer Question

The traction battery is starting to fail. I was just wondering if the car is able to be operated, however inefficiently, on gas alone in the event of a traction battery failure.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Same as usual.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2007 Prius
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have taken it to a dealer. They indicated that the battery was starting to fail but could not give a time to failure estimate. The car is running normally at the moment.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

T​hanks for posting, the car can not operate on the gas engine alone for very long if at all. The gas engine is started by the hybrid battery through the motor generator, there is no starter as you may know, so if the HV battery completely depletes the engine can not start, the HV battery may not recharge and the HV computer will shut everything down if the battery goes below a certain level. Hope this answers your question and please let me know if there's anything else you may have concerns about.