Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Hesitation from start with car cold or warm. Problem is

Customer Question

Hesitation from start with car cold or warm. Problem is intermittent. Replaced MAF sensor and that made the issue worse.
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: Car has not stalled yet. Once accelerating the car is fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: '02 Camry SE. 1545xx miles
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am. I replaced the air filter and changed the MAF sensor. that made the issue worse
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of... I guess I feel the car running not quite as smooth at idle.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Gunvir Singh replied 1 month ago.

Hello, do you have the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its fine. You can close this. After pulling the air intake assemblies off the throttle body and checking for carbon, I put it back together and then removed the negative battery lead from the terminal. I let it sit for several minutes, then reattached the lead. After a few start and stalls, I gave it some extra gas and it stayed running. I then let it sit for a few minutes before taking it on a test drive, where it performed perfectly.
So it was either the MAF, a vacuum leak around one of the clamps for part of the air intake system, coupled with needing to let the ECM and other sensors recalibrate themselves.ps- there was never a check engine light on.
Expert:  eric remington replied 1 month ago.

s​o the problem is? idle issue? rough running? talk to me please