Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Completed Apprenticeship with Toyota
57969284

No spark, 94 4 runner v6, I am. New battery coil rotor cap

Customer Question

No spark
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 94 4 runner v6
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am. New battery coil rotor cap and button. Bought used a few weeks ago. When I turn key it turns over but if I touch the brake or window buttons while attempting to start it stops turning over
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Looking for theft reset button?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Park. No wheel lock that I know of
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. I think you have a couple of issues with this vehicle. I've never heard of the engine stopping to crank when the brake pedal is touched, but in theory what that would say to me is that either the starter is drawing a crazy amount of current, or the battery isn't so good, or it is discharged, even though it is new.

Many possibilities with this one. Have you checked for ignition spark with a spark tester? Have you had a look at the the timing belt? The belt may be broken, or have skipped some teeth. Any fuel pressure?

So, and engine need air, fuel (pressure and injector pulse) spark, and proper compression and valve timing to work.

Does the engine sound funny when you crank it over? That may indicate a timing belt issue.

If this information has been helpful, please rate me and close up the question. Thanks. Canuck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Busted body ground a battery. Fixed and started right up

OK. Happy to hear you got it beat!