Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technician at Toyota Dealership
97954855

I have a problem with a 1995 2.7L Tacoma, every time you

Customer Question

I have a problem with a 1995 2.7L Tacoma, every time you turn the ign key it blows the 7.5 amp ign fuse in the cab fuse panel, which to my understanding has something the do with the EFI relay and circuit opening relay. I can use a jumper wire to bypass the efi relay and the truck will run, I have already replaced the relay and that didn't work. Also this may be unrelated but I noticed the clock in the cab quite working around the same time these problems started
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's a manual and yes it's in neutral when this happens, also the neutral safety switch is working as well
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I has looking for a dead short somewhere in the efi circuit but had no luck finding any detailed wire diagrams, I also have re
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please fit a new fuse, and before turning the key to start, disconnect the fuel pump wire connector and then try to start; see if the fuse blows.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will have to go buy some fuses and I'll give it a try

ok. It is not uncommon for a short to develop in the wire connection between the wire connector and the fuel pump; that metal thing on top of the tank can corrode and short out the pump power wire.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The pumps not shorted out if will work when I bypass the efi relay, I've replaced the efi relay thinking it was the problem but same problem with a new relay
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Having trouble with the ign fuse keep blowing
Expert:  Merlin Beerens replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, I was just wondering if you still needed help with this? The problems seems to lie in the wire between the 7.5A ign fuse and the efi relay itself. How comfortable are you, accessing the connectors behind the fuse box which the the 7.5A ign fuse sits, and testing for continuity?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I checked continuity between the fuse and the relay and it was good, what might you suggest next
Can you try unplugging the alternator, and see if the fuse blows?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll try that as soon as I get home, I did have the alternator rebuild because it was over charging but I will give it a try
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I tried that and it still blew the fuse

That is strange, ok just to go back to the beginning, was any work done recently that caused this issue, or were any parts replaced? that 7.5a ign fuse, is part of the EFI relay circuit, airbag sensor circuit, charging circuit and combination meter/gauge cluster.