Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 96 Tacoma, 4x4, 2.7. My AC when on gradually gets

Customer Question

I have a 96 Tacoma, 4x4, 2.7. My AC when on gradually gets warm as if the compressor stopped, light on AC button is still on. While troubleshooting found that compressor is cycling on and off. I also heard a small clicking noise under the glove box that apparently is the reason the compressor is cycling. What might that be?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Under the glove box in a black box
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeah lol i've change the compressor evaporator high-pressure switch and AC button so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

When the problem is occurring, have you checked the system pressures with an AC gauge set?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My cousin did and he said it was ok. He says there's a bad relay in that black box under glove box. What's that box
Expert:  Michael Dobrash replied 2 months ago.

The box in question is the ac control assembly

I would highly doubt that that box is the real problem. More then likely your expansion valve is damaged or plugged causing the low side pressure switch to turn the compressor on and off rapidly. Their is no way to check that with a gage set. as long as your evaporator is not restricted from air flow and you are not having the evaporator freeze and cause the temperature probe read too cold I would suspect a faulty expansion valve