Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I had a new air filter installed 06-Jan-2015 and I just

I had a new...

I had a new air filter installed 06-Jan-2015 and I just discovered that the hose from the filter to the engine was broken and obviously glued back together. My engine has been running very sluggish lately and in my investigation I found the glue did not hold and the hose was totally disconnected, so unfiltered air has been going into my engine for over two years. I have taken my (2001 4Runner) to the same dealership for years (on my second Toyota) for all service maintenance as I trusted them and I have always kept my vehicle property maintained. At this point, I am looking for advice on how to handle this situation. I presented this to the dealership with my service receipt in hand and they fully admitted responsibility and offered to replace the broken part at no charge. But, I am thinking I have more damage than just the part, specifically to my engine. Is it possible to clean the engine? or is it too late? Any advice on what I should demand from the service manager would be greatly appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has your mileage been lately? Have you checked the spark plugs?

I have not checked spark plugs, but it seems mileage has been reduced, not sure by how much.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Toyota?

2001 4Runner Limited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just took it to the dealership this morning and they have to order the part. During my oil change, they discovered the seals on the transfer case need to be replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My vehicle has been maintained in top shape all this time. I have had all of the recommended maintenance. No oil leaks. This is the first time I have concerns about my engine.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/16/2017
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Is the engine burning any oil? This wold be the indication there was an internal issue with the engine. As for the air filter duct work being broken, this will affect the engine and the performance should return once the part is repaired. Assuming the truck doesn't need a tune up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told at my last oil change (January 2017) that my engine was burning oil. I started checking my oil before long road trips and the level remained full. I have my 4Runner tuned-up at all of the required service dates, but now that the unfiltered air has been going directly into the engine, should I get a full tune-up in addition to having the new air filter duct replaced? I'm looking for advice on what is reasonable and necessary service as a result of this event to request from the dealer?

It would not hurt to get a tune up, but if it's burning oil, then there has been some damage done to the engine in my opinion. I am not sure if the dealer would be willing to concede this because of the amount of time, the number of miles and the possibility that the filter has been changed since then. Not calling you a liar by any means, but over 2 yrs it would seem someone would check the air filter. I cannot speak for them of course!
If it started burning oil after their negligence, then I would ask to have them look into the oil consumption issue with a possibility of installing new oil rings. This could be major engine work to be honest.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only discovered the part was broken yesterday. I pulled my receipt from when the air filter was last replaced - that being two years ago. The regular oil change service includes a multiple point inspection, so I don't know when the hose was broken and glued. I have checked my oil since and did not notice the broken part, so not sure when it came un-glued. Are you saying that I should have the air filter replace more often? The maintenance schedule indicates to change the engine air filter every 30,000 miles. I average 800 miles a month, except an additional 2,600 miles for road trips three time a year. If I am in fact burning oil, would new oil rings be the only fix needed?

I am saying the air filter is typically checked during the oil changes. Not that it always need replacement, but for example, I live on a dirt road, I go through a lot of air filters, lol. Normal paved road driving would not require as many.
Burning oil usually indicates something wrong with the rings or the cylinder walls. If dirty air was getting in through the intake, over a period of time it can cause these items to wear out. Since we don't know how long it's been like that there isn't really any way to know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, so due to the negligence, it is reasonable for me to ask the dealer to replace the rings and cylinder walls, as it sounds like these items are not easy to check?

This would be a rebuild, so i think I would talk to them about it. Especially if the engine is now burning oil. It's very possible they caused the issue.

carguy1
carguy1, auto technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help Mike. I am scheduled to go back to Toyota on Thursday to have the part replaced and I will be requesting the additional service to my engine.

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating! I really appreciate it